The Cow Hollow Residence consists of a remodel and small addition to the existing two story, single family residence originally constructed in 1917. The original owners, P.J. Martin Estates, hired the Austin and Sandford architecture firm for the project.
Our project focused on the street side building of the property. It consisted of a complete interior remodel, the conversion of existing crawl space areas to habitable square footage, and additions at the first and second levels. The finished design not only maintained the historic facade and materials, but also established a modern, open household.
This project displays elements of the First Bay Region Tradition, a Bay Area adaption of East Coast Shingle style. This is shown through the wood shingle siding, brick chimney, asymmetrical facades, varied eave lines, and numerous roof gables.
The U-shaped floor plan of this project, creates a protected patio entryway on the west facade. The residence has a small set back from the street with an angled driveway, which necessitates a concrete walkway and set of steps from the street to the entrance. The main entrance comprises of a five-panel wooden door made from its original hardware, bordered by wood panels.
Featured design elements of this project include personalized desks, the bridge walkway along the upper story, and the cantilevered staircase. This renovation especially opened the second story, creating a double story dining space as well as provided for further interaction and transition between the interior and outside world.